From:
Tina Cox <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Dec 2002 09:14:27 -0600
Some people brought in a couple of ferrets to the rescue.  Stated that
they bite "sometimes".  The boy has yet to bite - but the female is an
attack ferret!  I have never encountered ANYTHING like this before.  I've
had ferrets that bite out of fear, bite and hang on, bite and run, etc..
but this particular ferret is aggressive.  She bites and absolutely
REFUSES to let go.  It takes bitter apple to get her to let lose and
sometimes that will not work.  You cannot pry her jaws off of you.
AND if she does let lose - within a split second - she has latched on
somewhere else.  She does everything she can just to bite me.  I've never
encountered this.

This is what I'm trying with her.  I "attempt" to scruff her - yip and
hiss - and drag her across the floor.  Then I tell her no.  Scruffing her
is tricky as she wrestles around trying to bite again while you try to
scruff.  However.  as soon as I finish - she's even more hacked off and
goes into attack mode again.  When she bites - it goes through and
through.  Sometimes she tries to crocodile roll.OUCH!  My hands and arms
are shredded.  should I wear gloves?  Would this defeat the purpose?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!

Tina

Harriett, Thelma, Louise, Hester, Merle, George, Murphy-doodle, Oscar, &
Wallace (the alligator!.)