From:
Stepehen Mills <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Jan 1996 12:39:38 -0700
I had to post on the occasion of our second ferret obtained from the local
SPCA.  We purchased him so that our first ferret Hobbs, would have a
companion through the work day.  He has turned out to be a bit more
interesting than anticipated.

Taz.....what a nut.  Wonderful colour in the coat, he is a silver mitt, pure
white on the face through rich yellow and then wolf grey on the hinds.
Don't often get to see the colour because it turns into a grey blurr as he
streaks around the house, dead run, sound barrier, warp 8..all the time.

The sign  on the cage said he bites..got all three of us (human types) on
the first day, drew blood, much hurt and vocal reaction.  He is wild.
Couldn't touch him, catch him, or find him most of the time.  Well we took
a chance and coated our palms Jason, my son and I, with Linatone.  He came
to lick and nibble a little.  In three days he is eating out of our hands,
little biting except for a gentle nip now and then still at warp 8 all the
time however.  Hyper is an understatement. At about 1.5 lb he runs Hobbs at
4.5 lbs.+ right into the ground playing.

Our dog Bear is in a constant state of fear poor thing.  He is so compliant
and mild.  Taz bit him too.  Yelp..  cry..quiver and long sad face.  I think
he felt betrayed because he tried to play with Taz and did ok, but Taz snuck
up on him and nailed his hind foot.  Now the second time Taz bit the Bear
was real interesting because I was sitting at the dining room table, and all
of a sudden I had 70 lbs.  of dog on my lap.  Along came Taz, dropped to
impulse power, and looked up to say what are you guys up to?

I laughed till the tears ran.

I noted a posting that perhaps fear motivates excessive biting, I think this
is the case with Taz.  When he does speed bump, any movement or noise sets
him off on the run.  I believe that his first humans had small humans who
chased him and loved him too hard.  The result is displayed by his current
behaviour.  Ferrets...gotta love em but not too rough.

Sad to see the illness postings but our two are thankful for their great
health.  I am thankful that there is support among you all for those that
need it.

Steve, Terry, Hobbs, Taz, and Bear