Date:
Sat, 1 Jul 2000 19:28:52 -0500
Hi !
I just posted a couple days ago, but here I am again!  I am currently in
the process of making plans for a new cage.I think I know what I want it to
be like but I need additional info & suggestionsI intend on making it huge.
I want the front of the cage to be two doors that open up like a cabinet so
I can clean it easily without all the stretching and reaching through those
little doors.  I will make sure that it locks up tight because if mine
see a fourth a inch crack they think there is hope for escape & dig & dig.
(they are only in there at night & sometimes when I'm working & my clients
aren't my close friends- not real often though .)  I want to use linoleum
on the floors.  I am going to buy a big storage bin & cut it( because it
will be too tall ) to fit the bottom of the cage.  I want plastic, not
metal so I can take it out easily for cleaning.

I would like to separate the cage down the middle w/ doors that I can keep
open or close securely to separate them if I ever need to.  I'm making this
cage very big for any additional ferrets I might get, ( not soon, but I
want to make this cage for the long run.)

I plan on using a wood frame & I guess hardware cloth.  I would like to
make the floors a lightweight but sturdy wood that I can put linoleum on.
And ramps of course out of between the levels.

I have put together cages in the past that were safe & ferretproof- just
not easy to clean at all!  And now that I have 5 I feel that they need
more room.

their current cage is 5 ft tall by 2 ft square. -the new cage will be 5 ft
tall by 4 ft wide by 2ft ( maybe 2 & a half ft) with wheels.

[Moderator's note: A piece of this post came as two columns which wrapped
oddly.  Reconstructed the post as best as I could, but can't be sure the
figure below is 100% right.  BIG]

   [ small ]               ]                        ]
   [ litter ]              ]  hammocks              ]
   [ --------]-------------]------------------------]
   [                       ]                        ]
   [        toys &         ]    play area           ]
   [ ----------------------]------------------------]
   [                       ]                        ]
   [                       ]     food               ]
   [ ----------------------]------------------------]
   [                       ]                        ]
   [                       ] hammocks               ]
   [ ----------------------]------------------------]
   [                       ]                        ]
   [                       ] litter area            ]
   [-----------------------]------------------------]

If anyone has experience (or do's & dont's ) - or any ideas to add to this
It would be greatly appreciated.  Are there any good websites with good
cage ideas?  I've looked & came up with very little.  I need to get this
cage done right the first time because after I put together the last cages
I have always said, "I should have... it needs a... I wish it were easier
to clean!" I want this cage to be spacious, comfortable,safe & easy to
clean!  Any advice will be appreciated!  Thank you!

        ~Micaela~
     and my furbabies...
~Bones~Snow~Cleopatra~
   ~Zeus~&~Samantha~