From:
Diana Wallace <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Jun 1996 23:51:31 -0400
I have read many postings concerning the 'flame war' about the guy who
wanted to adopt a ferret and asked for advice.

I wrote, privately, to CDFA1 and as yet have rec'd no reply.

The gist of that message is:

Some people are "Activists" and some are "Teachers".  Teachers quietly
educate the masses hoping to enlighten them to a larger understanding of
their world.  Activists work hard to point out inequities and force change
in their world.  Each kind of person is an opposite end of an equation,
working for the same goal in different ways.

Myself, I choose to be a teacher.  I do not fight outwardly, my decision is
to educate as many individuals as possible about the ways of my gentle
companions.  I arm myself with information on my rights in CA concerning the
welfare of my 'kids' and am careful with the information that I provide and
to whom.

As a result, I rejoice privately when I am constantly asked the same
question, "Why, why are ferrets illegal in California?" For that one
question I have only one reply, "POLITICS."

As has been shown in the recent CA Assembly vote, we are making headway.  I
believe that is due to both the Teachers and the Activists.  We are both
work for the same end.  Just in different ways.