From:
Dick Bossart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Jun 1999 18:40:19 EDT
>She thinks her ferret is about three years old, and he has lost his hair.
>It was a gradual loss, starting at his shoulders.  Some hair is growing
>back on his legs.  The vet, who admits to not seeing many ferrets, says
>it's an endocrine gland, says it's common in ferrets, and that you have
>to leave one.

It is very likely, from the description, an adrenal tumor.  Ferrets have
two adrenal glands.  The tumor is typically in the left gland which is
fairly easy to remove if the vet is somewhat experienced with ferrets and
surgery.  (Big "IF.") In this case, I'd be tempted to find a vet more
experienced to attempt the surgery.  Right adrenal removals are often more
difficult since the tumor may have invaded the vena cava.  That's a job for
a very experienced vet.  Bilateral adrenal removals can be done, again if
the vet really knows what to do and how to do it.

>The only thing I can see, is that it seems to be something with his
>mouth... It sounds like he is constantly working his saliva glands and
>flicking his teeth with his paw.  Anyone see that before.  I would be
>greatfule for any advise.

Could be nausea causing him to paw at his mouth.  Call your vet and ask
if you can give a 1/3 cc dose of Pepto Bismal along with the Amoxicillin.
It's possible that what he has is a helicobacter infection.  The
amoxicillin and Pepto Bismal will help that.  If your vet will phone in a
prescription for Carafate (a human ulcer medication - ulcers are common
with helicobacter) you can give that about 30 minutes after the amoxi.
If there is no ulcer, it'll pass right on through.

>You're all going to think I'm nuts, but he's kind of a lilac colour, sort
>of purpleish, on his points, and cream coloured everywhere else.

I've heard of and seen one "Lavender Point."  It was a kit at the time, so
I'm not sure what it became once it got older.  I'm not sure it's on any
of the color standards, but I don't think you're nuts.  They are unusual
looking.

Dick B.
4 Li'l Paws Ferret Shelter