From:
Percy Pwood Georgia Wood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Sep 1999 21:02:11 -0700
It's great that we are talking about our various preparations in case of an
emergency or disaster, and describing specifically what we would do.

Someone mentioned keeping a garbage bag handy, and I immediately thought of
those black plastic jobbers.  A ferret would go through a plastic bag in a
heartbeat!

What I have in the ferret room is a pillow case.  It's a basic white pillow
case, and it's folded and on a shelf - somewhere in the ferret room.
What's wrong with my description?  'Somewhere'.  I couldn't find it in
a hurry if I needed it.  So what I'm going to do is buy a new 'ferret
emergency transport sack' the next time I'm in a discount store and hang
it on the wall as part of 'ferret room decor'.  We already keep a ferret
carrier in each car, plus several in the house.  But for getting out of the
house fast, dropping ferrets into a king size pillow case seems easier to
me than fumbling in maybe dark with a carrier.

Tornados are rare in the Pacific Northwest, so my biggest worries are fire
and flood.  Because I live on the water already, flooding of the river is a
slow process, with ample warning.  Fire is our major concern.  The ferret
room has it's own exit door, but it's at the opposite end of the house from
our sleeping quarters.  I guess investing in another smoke detector would
be warranted.  If I neglect to change a litter pan it won't set the thing
off will it?

Looking forward to a continued discussion about this important topic, and
learning what others are doing.

By the way, does anyone happen to be driving to Oregon (or thereabouts)
from an eastern state - like say Pennsylvania?  I have a boat that needs
transporting from there to here.  It's on a trailer, ready to roll.  I'll
pay!

Georgia - the left coast one...