From:
Marie Wallace <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Oct 1998 16:01:17 EDT
Melissa A. writes;
>Nab, it's backwards for me.  I was very active in jr. high and high school
>about animal rights, women's rights, children's rights, and various
>political issues.  I wrote letters to the editor, sent letters to
>politicians, became a vegetarian, boycotted fast food chains and shampoo
>companies, handed out ferret information to pet stores, refused to dissect
>pigs and frogs in school, etc.

>That ended once I was introduced to the real world.

>It's good to see that some of you out there are still idealists.

According to the Thorndike - Barnhart dictionary prepared in cooperation
with World Book, Inc.  the definition of progress, an advance; growth;
development; improvement whereas the opposite of progress is regress, to go
back; move in a backward motion It is common knowledge that you can't win a
war if you simply fall back, you have to forge ahead.  And granted perhaps
you can't win a war single handedly but, you can sure as hell put a dent in
the battles along the way IF you stick with it.

I was like you Melissa decades ago.  I was protesting the Viet Nam War at
Kent State Univ.  and my first cousin was a National Guardsman sent in to
quell the situation.  Four human lives were sacrificed and 9 others were
wounded on May 4, 1970, all in the name of a cause.  It was a turning point
in history.  Outraged students at other universities staged a national walk
out.  The battle at Kent State launched an all out war, a war we won.

Changes will come Melissa IF, you persevere.  Laws and rules can be changed
if you stick with it.  You can't drop the ball mid court and expect to
score.  Honey you can't expect to win every battle but, the battles you do
win are sweet victories indeed.Keep your chin up.

If there is anyone out there in Ma.  who is actively pursuing legislative
changes to protect the animals, please E me.  I am booked until Oct. 24 TH.
but I wouldn't mind giving you a helping hand in the political arena.
Whoops you better make that Nov.  4 TH.  I just got a call to work on a
county commissioners campaign.

There is no room for apathy when you are passionate about a worthy cause
and it pleases me to no end to know that, the FML is filled with passionate
people.

Kodo's creed, "In life he did unite us but, it was his death that bound us
eternal."

Marie