From:
Linda Decelles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Oct 2000 19:02:08 -0500
There is good/safe substance to use around animals and humans that gets rid
of roaches - It is boric acid powder.  You can find it at hardware stores,
etc. - I've found it commercially sold as Roach Proof.

I first learned of it when I worked in animal research labs at a
Univerisity.  They had a rat lab get heavily infested and had to be very
careful what they used.  The rats were used in drug research and they
needed to be sure that what they used not only didn't harm the rats, it
also couldn't have any effect on them that could mess up their research
results.  The boric acid powder works great and the roaches do not become
immune to it.  It is not a poison - it is a dessicant and dehydrates them
dries them out.  All it did to the rats ( and those of us who worked in
the rooms) was make them/us drink a little more.

The rats did not have direct contact with the boric acid powder.  As an
after note, about a year later this area went through extensive renovation.
Whan the workmen tore down the walls, they found thousands of dead roaches
and NO live ones!  Another thin I did when cleaning was use a wet vac
filled with a water and clorox solution to vacuum up the room, dust and any
cockroaches I could catch with the wand.  I learned vacumming diretly into
water did nothing and the oaches climbed back out, but the clorox solution
killed them.

What we have done at home (when raising a litter of puppies) and again
somewhat recently with the ferrets when we inadvertenly brought in
something that introduced cockroaches (and their egg cases) was pull off
the molding (baseboard) around the wall, lay down roach proof, and put the
molding back.  We also put it under furniture that animals couldn't get
under - but roaches loved.  Make sure the ferrets (and any other pets)
have plenty of fresh water.

Linda, Norman,
and the 4 fuzzyand sweet terrors: Frisky, Sassy, Mae, and Handsome