From:
Joanne Gelormino <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 May 1998 19:29:37 -0400
Hi all,

After reading numerous posts that some of you are a bit offended by
questions a shelter asks before adopting out a ferret, those questions are
asked to weed out the jerks that have no business owning a ferret or any
other pet.

As a member of the Ferret Association of CT, I have a copy of our adoption
questionnaire and feel it is one of the best tools to make sure an already
uprooted ferret finds a permanent home.  Here are some sample questions:

- Have you previously owned ferrets and what happened to them?
- Do you own other animals?
- Do all your animals receive regular vet check-ups and vaccinations?
- Does any member of your household have allergies, asthma or smoke?
- Are you planning to move within the next year?
- Have you read any books or other information about ferrets?
- What type of food do you plan to feed your ferret?
- Can you make a 3 to 8 year commitment to keep a ferret?
- Can you be reasonably sure you can afford to pay the costs of surgery
  and/or ongoing medication should your ferret become ill?

We do not ask a person's income.  I think our questionnaire is very
comprehensive.  A potential adopter then is interviewed personally.  Anyone
who would like a copy of our questionnaire, please email me privately.  If
another shelter would like to use it, FACT just asks that you give proper
credit to us when copying it.

Moxie