Date:
Wed, 5 Apr 2006 12:14:56 -0400
Just last week I checked my Google Ferret Alert and what should come up
but a reference to our next speaker
http://living.scotsman.com/index.cfm?id=3D446142006 .
She is so well known that her website was referenced in an article on
the other side of the pond!  Her credentials are many.  She has served as
a lecturer in the Department of Psychology and the Post-Graduate Medical
Education Department of the University of Warwick and is a research
consultant to a number of UK welfare organisations such as Blue Cross,
Society of Companion Animal Studies, Cats Protection and the Dogs Trust,
as well as conducting various studies in Ethiopia for the Society for
the Protection of Animals Abroad (SPANA).

June McNicholas is a psychologist with a special research interest in
the effects that companion animals have on human health and well-being,
so she should find herself at home in the midst of the attendees at
Ferret Aid 2006.  Like many of us, she will be celebrating the *new 30*
when we meet in Toronto, but is *determined to grow old as disgracefully
as our 'middle aged' ferrets!*

Dr. McNicholas lives on a small farm in the remote Scottish Highlands
with her partner, Dr. Jeff Lewis, a parasitologist, where she works as
a wildlife consultant, raises rare sheep and has many animal residents.
There are 40+ rescue ferrets, a Beauceron (a French herding dog), several
hens, a turkey called Tennyson, three North American raccoons, a wild
polecat, two hybrid polecat ferrets, a hand reared weasel called Wispa,
and a wild goat called Alfred.  There are also a number of wild animals
waiting to come into their new rehabilitation area, including a badger
and two young otters.

Dr. McNicholas has a special research interest in the effect that our
animal companions have on our health and general well-being.  That is
not surprising, as ferrets have been a part of her life for most of her
life.  When she was 12, Dr. McNicholas' grandmother, who *felt I needed
education in the niceties of polite society,* wanted to make me into a
'lady.' The estate manager took her ferreting with Fretsky (Czec for
'ferret').  So, her first introduction to ferrets was also Dr.
McNicholas' introduction into proper society!

Years past and Dr. McNicholas became a mother whose 10 year old daughter
wanted a ferret.  The first ferret was a silver mitt called 'Ming,' who
was later joined by a companion called 'Wombat.' The family's reputation
as ferret enthusiasts spread and soon they had many unwanted, abandoned
or stray ferrets.  They joined the National Ferret Welfare Society and,
ever since, have taken in rescued ferrets and done whatever they can to
promote responsible care of ferrets.

When asked about her most memorable ferret experience, Dr. McNicholas
had a difficult time picking just one.  Sound familiar?  I will let her
explain in her own words:

* Living with ferrets gives rise to any number of memorable experiences.
How does one choose?  The ferret who came back to life after 'dying'
during surgery?  The ferret who caused a deaf, dumb and blind girl to
smile and laugh?  It's so difficult to choose.  I suppose one ferret who
really sticks out in my mind is Stonebridge.  He was the most vicious
of ferrets when he came into rescue but went on to work with terminally
ill children as a therapy pet.  His life touched literally hundreds of
children and their families.  Over the nine years he worked in special
schools and children's hospices he helped children cope with unpleasant
medical procedures, helped their schooling, and raised funds for their
treatment.  A very special ferret indeed.*

When you see her in Toronto, ask Dr. McNicholas to tell you all about the
time she and her dog got a standing ovation while simultaneously being
disqualified from the world famous dog show, Crufts!  Dr. McNicholas
holds unsung heroes in high regard.  These include *people who do things
for which they get no reward and little, if any, recognition -- purely
selfless actions done because that is what they feel they should do.
Amongst those I'd include those people who take in a rescue animal and
do whatever is needed to regain the trust and love of those animals.*
Given the opportunity to spend 24 hours with anyone, Dr. McNicholas would
choose her father.  *He was a quiet, serious man and was very difficult
to get to know.  When he died we found out a whole lot about his life
that he had never mentioned.  Work in the war for the Allies, capture
in Singapore, escape, and an impressive military record.*  Perhaps he is
one of the unsung heroes that influenced her ideas.

Like other great people I have met, Dr. McNicholas doesn't really care if
she IS remembered!  However, *As far as friends and family are concerned,
if anyone remembered me with affection or as someone trying to do good,
I'd be more than satisfied.* However, I doubt very seriously if this very
interesting woman will ever be forgotten.  Whether discussing movies
(her favourite is Gladiator - *maybe my choice has something to do with
Russell Crowe's look in Roman Uniform!*), music (*My choice of music
depends on what I am doing at the time.  On the whole it's folk music
while I am writing; classical music (especially Mussorgsky) while I'm
analysing data; rock music when I'm driving!*) or her favourite book
(ask her!), she has something interesting to contribute.

And for fun and relaxation, Dr. McNicholas turns once more to her
animals.  *Up here in the remote Highlands, there's no local pubs,
shops, cinemas, restaurants etc, so 'fun' is simply what you make it.
In non-ferret moments, I just like to walk down to our bottom meadow and
sit on the lochside.  There I can watch dolphins, otters, seals and
eagles in pure peace and silence.  Whatever the problems of the day's
work, these creatures simply give you a perspective.

There's nothing like having a group of ferrets in the house for a
playtime to raise a smile after a tough day at work.  You can't help
but laugh when they come in and play.  They say laughter is the best
medicine.  If that's true, then ferrets are probably the best
therapists!  Most of my relaxation time is spent with various joyful,
playful and affectionate friends.  We call them ferrets.*

Check out Dr. McNicholas at the National Ferret Welfare Society
(http://www.nfws.net ).  She can be reached by email at