From:
Sheila Crompton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Feb 2000 13:52:31 -0000
I had 46 ferret vaccinated yesterday against CD.  All 46 are fine despite
the warning "not to be used on ferrets and mink".  My vet was rather
alarmed when she read the warning and promptly phoned up Intervet who
make the Nobivac to make enquiries.  She received assurance that it was
OK to use but at the ferret owners risk type of thing...

Poor Nicky was even more put out when I said that I knew that it wasn't
licensed for ferrets - AFAIK there isn't a CDV vaccine in the UK that is.
I had asked them to get Vanguard but they weren't able to track down a
supply of it.

I sort of got the impression that the vet and veterinary nurse liked the
escape from the surgery to visit the ferrets.  It was quite a social
occasion with Nicky thoroughly enjoying being surrounded by wardancing
ferrets.  Dorothy ended up with Sindy attached to her hand at one point -
I had warned them that Sindy was a bit feisty, Dorothy went to put her down
to change her grip but Sindy whipped round like lightening and latched
on... When I went up the surgery later on that day to pay the bill I
couldn't see a mark on Dorothy's hand, Nicky was, however, sporting a
band-aid on her thumb where she'd been bitten by a cat.  She agreed with
me when I remarked that a bite from a ferret was much cleaner than one from
a cat.

--
Sheila
Bolton Ferret Welfare.