Date:
Sun, 29 Apr 2007 05:53:15 -0400
Hi,

I have a huge quandary for everyone.

I have a 4-5 yr old foster and he has been giving us a heck of a time,
poor guy. Back in Nov we had his blood tested and his blood sugar at
the time was 489, his K was slightly low at 4.4. Since I just had
gotten back from a 2 week trip-he was stressed out and displayed it
by not eating or drinking, I had to nurse him through with baby food
and fluids and we tested him again in a week-his blood sugar is down
to 135. So, everything got chalked up to stress and he was fine until
about 3 weeks ago. This time I was home but 2 more ferrets were
introduced to his run group. Now although they got along fine
together-he started doing his losing weight stuff again and I had to
restart the baby food routine again (no fluids this time.) I take him
back to the vet and this time his blood sugar was 43, Cr 2.0, and K
4.5, growl. So, of course we start him on pred and fluids (for the Cr)
2 weeks later and guess what his blood sugar is now, 434-ahhhh! Cr down
to 1.2 and K normal. Of course we're weaning him off the pred but has
anyone ever dealt with this before??? My vet is at a loss and so am I.
If he was a human he would be in the hospital on an insulin drip-but
what is with the up and down blood sugar and would a creatine level of
1.2, without any other kidney values being off, also be an indicator of
diabetes??? We are going to bump up his surgery to asap, but I am very
concerned-has anyone ever seen this before? Suki has already passed on
some advice through the FML (Thank you very much!) but since we're all
grabbing at straws here-I really want as much help as possible.

Thank you!

Debbi Woodring
DragonNest Ferretry & Small Animal Rescue