From:
Rebecca McFarlane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Sep 1999 10:55:15 -0500
Dooks to everybody, and our condolences to all who've had their babies go
to the bridge.

Just had to tell you about my husband's encounter with a 'dead ferret'.
The other day while at work, and being swamped at the time, my phone rings
and it's Larry.  First thing he says is "We've got a ferret down!" Wasn't
quite panic stricken (he never gets that way) but I could tell he was kind
of shook.  I asked which one and he said Alix (our new silver mitt girl).
I was in the middle of a phone call and told him I'd call him back, should
get her ready to go to the vet's.

Well, got done and immediately called home.  He was a lot calmer and said
she woke up.  He went to let them all out and said he looked at her and saw
she was breathing extremely shallow.  Picked her up, she was limp as a rag
(hey, we all know this form don't we???)  He shook her, tried blowing in
her face, said he was getting ready to practically do CPR when both eyes
opened up and looked at him like "huh???" I just lost it.  Told him
'welcome to the dead ferret scare the hell out of you sleeping syndrome.
You've just had your first experience with it.'

I have to admit Alix is the worst out of all of ours with this.  When
putting them up for the night, if they're asleep, the minute I take hold
of them to bring them out of their 'nesting corner' I have semi alert fuzz
butts.  Mookie, though, when he sleeps, he snores.  I drag him out, mainly
because he's all the way to the back, and he finally looks at me with the
"Go away look" in his eyes.

On the two new girls: Alix loves Bob C's gravy!  She took to it almost
immediately.  Bailey is still being fussy.  I'm still having trouble
weaning them off the Meow mix and into the regular kibble we feed.  It's
gowing slowly but surely.  Both are extremely health but extremely thin,
and still somewhat shy.  When they're out with the rest of the group, my
'gentle' Kit normal has Bailey down by the throat and dear Suzy Derkins is
just bouncing all over going "Lemme at her, lemme at her".  Alix just gives
up and goes into the carrier that stays open and naps with Socks.  I'm
going to have to get Alix to the vet again.  When its just her and Bailey
she's all over, and sometimes if the others leave them alone she plays, but
if the rest are out-she's curled up somewhere sound asleep, almost like a
defence mechanism.  She will curl up with Socks, and they seem to get
along.

How long does depression last for a ferret.  They've been with us a week
and a half now.  I keep thinking she's still depressed-hey I would be.  4
homes in her 2 short years (she's 2, Bailey's 3) -4 homes for Bailey in her
three years, too.  I keep cuddling them and playing with them, and trying
to integrate them all.  The boys have basically accepted them, and so has
Genie and Scully.  Kit and Ms. Derkins on the other hand, well, they're
another story.

Don't know if the story about the ferret rescue from the boa was real or
not, but it was great.  I do know that there are people who if you showed
up at the door in scrubs and gloves, wouldn't question you being from the
F&G, Dept. of Ag, whatever, if you said an animal was a disease carrier.
(Most of us would know better, I would hope, but there are some who would
swallow it hook line and sinker).  I told that story to my family and they
just lost it!

Rebecca & The Crew of Merry Mayhem
=======================
Rebecca McFarlane
Secretary
Basic Medical Sciences
School Veterinary Medicine
Purdue University
West Lafayette, IN  47907-1246
Phone:   765-494-8632
Fax:     765-494-0781
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste
 good with ketchup"