From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Sep 2011 19:39:54 -0400
As usual recently I did not have time to read the FML but as I was
skimmed down to see what some later posts covered I noticed that it
was mentioned by someone that raw eggs are safe. Nope. The problem
is not just the high rate of salmonella in raw eggs, but also because
BOTH biotin and thiamine disorders can be caused by raw egg whites.

According to _Biology and Diseases of the Ferret, 2nd edition_ raw eggs
have caused not only salmonella risks and Biotin deficiency in ferrets,
but also can cause Thiamine deficiency. See page 168. Symptoms vary
from lethargy and anorexia to worse symptoms with advances cases, even
convulsions. People could confuse it with insulinoma or other problems
when actually it is diet caused.

This book is an excellent one for anyone who is making at home diets
because it goes into nutritional problems more than any of the others:
http://www.amazon.com/Biology-Diseases-Ferret-James-Fox/dp/0683300342
but it is out of date for a number of medical treatments so for those
get the UPCOMING THIRD edition of _Ferrets, Rabbits and Rodents_ which
will be released this year and for which preorders are being taken.

Buying veterinary texts and resources like the Saunders veterinary
dictionary are great ways to use one's money.

I don't find that one online yet, but it really IS being released; and
I have it on pre-order, myself, so contact the publisher.

A more common cause of Thiamine deficiency in ferrets has been diets
high in fish species that contain high levels of Thiaminase. That, and
diets high in squid or in marine fish fats can also cause "yellow fat
disease" (nutritional steatis) which is from a Vitamin E deficiency.

What I suggest is using expert references rather than things found
online or in lists. Get relevant ferret veterinary texts or hire a
person with a doctorate in veterinary nutrition.

I simply lack time to check the posts for accuracy but, as I said, this
portion caught my eye and was so glaringly wrong that I had to point it
out. Now, when a ferret is literally between a rock and a hard place
and will only eat something like raw egg then try raw yolks but know
that it carries risks. As a regular part of the diet it spells big
trouble. Cooked egg is safe for ferrets, including cooked egg whites
and it is great source of very accessible protein. I do NOT have time
to see if there are other worrisome statements, so get the veterinary
texts and use the veterinary texts, please.

Becca makes some great points: when there is a LOT of adult supervision
preferably by multiple adults, only a few ferrets, only a few birds,
doors, barriers, and cages then a person can manage to have a home that
is safe for birds and ferrets as she has done (though one day could
have turned out very badly for her). If any of those components are
lacking then it is perhaps an unfair risk to take.

Sukie (not a vet)

Recommended ferret health links:
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/
http://www.afip.org/ferrets/index.html