From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Sep 2002 16:29:41 -0400
http://www.smartgroups.com/message/readmessage.cfm?gid=1423922&messageid=1217

>So, my (our)question is, do you really even need to wean them off of the
>pediapred before surgery, and if so, how do you go about doing it without
>the ferret crashing. My vet asked me to see what I could find out...

Personally, I never do, because the risk of an insulinomic crisis is
higher than the risk of delayed healing from the pred.  If he does
insulinoma surgery at the same time as the adrenal surgery, then you
may not need pred afterwards, but I would be very, very careful of taking
him off beforehand.

Having only been on it for ten days, the risks of staying on it up to the
time of surgery are pretty minimal, IMO, anyway.  Have you checked his
blood sugar since starting the pred?

Dr. Ruth
Save lives - spay or neuter your pet.