From:
Date:
Sun, 18 Aug 1996 13:10:20 -0700
>From:    Bruce Williams <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Back on the FML
<and>
>From:    Dennis Gentry <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Ferrets in Fairbanks?

Nice to hear from old friends again.  Boy I wish I could have made that
Inuvik trip with Dennis...

>From:    Casey Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: The smell
>I hate to complain about little Toby so much, but could anybody give me
>some advice on how to cut down on the odor.  I have been bathing Him up to
>3 times a week...

Stop bathing him so much.  Descenting has nothing to do with day to day
odor.  Dirty ears might.  Over bathing does.  As I understand it the smell
comes from oils secreted to keep the hair conditioned.  If you wash out the
oil more is secreted.  If you wash less the oil isn't re-secreted.  The
older oil doesn't smell as much as fresh oil.  We wash ours only a couple
times a year and smell less than ferrets washed more often.  Pam Greene is
this in the FAQs?

>I have tried the Hagen Diet, but Toby throws it on the floor.

I think this is a fishy mink food based product.  If so I understand why he
tosses it.  Iam's Cat or Kitten is our choice.  Science Diet is good but
some ferrets don't like it.  Pro Plan Cat is th4e choice of many breeders in
the area.

>One other thing, I have kittens that Toby loves to play with.  Is this
>dangerous?

Toby probably won't hurt them too bad....

Kittens used to ferrets tend to grow into cats used to ferrets.  Ours all
get along fine.

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets
http://www.zenferret.com/