From:
Holly Gorrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Feb 2006 10:15:02 -0500
I've found that ferrets have at least 2 different types of hissing that
they do.  When they are angry, it's a steady SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS sound.
Sounds like a leaky tire or something.  One of our previous ferrets,
Pooh, also had a hiss that sounded like hhhh hhhh hhhh hhhh.  It came in
little short bursts and sort of sounded like panting.  He did that when
he was happy.  He would come up and nip you on the ankle, and then run
away going hhhh hhhh hhhh .  It really did sound like he was laughing at
you.  As he got older, he stopped doing that, but did it a lot as a baby.
It always reminded me of the cartoon dog that laughed like that,
(Muttley?).

Holly
Icarus & Cato