From:
Percy Pwood Georgia Wood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Feb 1998 20:13:57 -0800
To Diane Rogers and fellow FMLers,

You asked a question about SOS a few days ago, Diane.  Sorry it's taken so
long to get back to you; it's been one of those weeks!

SOS (Support Our Shelters) is an organization founded on the FML about two
years ago, or so.  A number of people suggested that it would be GREAT if a
fund could be formed to help sheltrs in need.  Several of us got together,
and worked out a plan for the idea (with help from a number of the
shelters).

To date, we've run two fund raising programs: a grocery store coupon book,
and a ferret coloring book (drawings by Linda Gaylord).  Both these programs
are still active, and we are currently exploring a possible third
fundraising project.

Under the rules of SOS, the fund is allowed to make donations in two ways:
1) product donated directly to a shelter, and 2) payment to a shelter's
veterinarian.  To date, we have donated over $1,000 worth of food and vet
payments to needy shelters.  Totally Ferret has been a VERY generous sponsor
of the program, as has Linda Gaylord (of the Stationary Ferret), and the
kind folks at The Ferret Store, who can be reached at
<www.theferretstore.com>.

In addition, we prepare a monthly update of participating shelters, which is
sent to the FML.  Participating shelters (any shelter that is willing to
submit info.  can participate...) give us figures on their number of
ferrets, outstand vet bills, etc.  We compile these into a list which is
used to determine where OUR donations will go, and we release the list to
the FML so that you can determine where YOUR donations should go.

The fund is run by three of us FMLers ... one in Oregon, one in
Pennsylvania, and one in New Jersey.  We also have an "oversight" committee,
consisting of a number of shelters and some fellow FMLers that helps us to
make decisions, and provide advice if we need it.

I hope this description is helpful, and I hope everyone buys coloring books
for Easter/Passover/whatever occasion gifts!  They are truly beautiful, and
your money goes to a very worthy cause.

Sincerely,

The ladies of SOS (Support Our Shelters)