From:
"Henry Lee Jr." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Aug 1998 11:17:29 -0400
Hello all :)

Just to let you know, if the word "bananabread" drew your attention to this
article, forgive me, i threw it in there without due reason :)

My article is an update on Frodo the Flesh Shark, some important questions
about coughing, and local ferret vets.

First, thank you all for the replies about "giving up on a biter".  A few
people thought that means I was going to throw him into the woods, or send
him to a shelter, but most of you knew what I meant.  I'll clarify quickly
just in case :) I'm a big 210 pound former football and baseball player,
but I still get down and cuddle and snuggle with my little fuzzballs.  I'll
take care of them and love them no matter what or how bad they can be,
that's just me.  All I meant was that I was going to stop letting Frodo out
with friends and family until he curbed his biting ways :)

As for his behavior, I have tried a new approach.  When he bites, i just
retaliate with affection.  I scoop him up, and scratch his little head and
such, which he likes.  Perhaps it will make him feel guilty, or like a human
child, he will grow out of the behavior, since he does it purely to be
annoying, and not out of fear at all :)

Second thing, and this is the important one.  Both of my ferrets regularly
make all sorts of loud coughing noises from time to time.  Several times a
day each.  Sometimes they sound like gagging, other times like coughing.
Frodo eats his food so fast sometimes that he chokes on it, coughs, and
clears it from his throat.  He does this alot actually.  Other times they
are not eating though and they make these noises.  They are only 4 months
old, and have been receiving a hairball lax for about a month now.  They
are eating TF, and their litter is wood nuggets, not cedar, but pine.  They
stay in my bedroom, which is clean, and away from any other animals at all
times.  Can anyone tell me if this chronic coughing should be a concern?
Is it how ferrets normally deal with hairballs?  Could it be something
else?  Thanks!  :)

Okay, after my switch to Totally Ferret, my ferrets seem to be in heaven.
Bilbo, who wasn't a big eater, has now become the bigger of the two ferrets,
he can't get enough!  We used to call him the runt!  Thanks for all your
advice on TF versus Marshalls.

Lastly, does anyone know any great ferret-knowledgeable vets in Southern
Connecticut?  My vet seems to be fairly knowledgeable, and I am not
terrified if I have to stick with him, but its always good to check and
make sure there isn't some guru right near by.  My vet has done operations
to remove ferret blockages, and says he sees a decent amount of them.  He
also said that Frodo and Bilbo should be show-ferrets and have the best
disposition of all the ferrets he has seen.  He knows how to work for his
tips I guess ;)

Okay all, thanks much, and best wishes to you and your fuzzbums.

Hank Lee
Frodo the Flesh Hound
Bilbo the Water Buffalo