From:
Sue Kocher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 May 1996 10:05:50 EET
Dear online vet friends,

I hope you have time in your busy schedule to answer this question.  I had
posted a private request, but something must have gone awry.  And if it was
answered publicly, I missed it--my reading of the FML lately has been
necessarily sporadic these past few weeks.  I'll never catch up!

Anyway, I am aware there was a debate going on about distemper vaccines.
However, I don't think it addressed this problem:

You may remember me,the only ferret-owner in Turkey (until recently--
reinforcements have arrived!).  Naturally, vets here don't know diddly about
ferrets.  I lost my Emma already-- she apparently had a tumor (rather than a
hairball as we all thought) and was in bad shape when she went into surgery
last year, so it wasn't really their fault, but the vets did not know what
to do when she went into a seizure post-surgery and died on the table.  They
gave her huge vitamin B injections and adrenalin, I think.

Anyway, I am worried about my Rikki.  It has been nearly two years since his
last distemper vaccine, done in Sydney before we came here.  I have not
wanted to get him vaccinated here because I am terrified that they will give
him the wrong thing and/or he will have a fatal reaction.  However, we will
not be going back to the US until September or so, and I have begun to worry
more about the possibility of his contracting distemper while here.  As you
can imagine, distemper is rife in Turkey, and although I always wash my
hands after handling any dogs, I know the virus can be brought in on shoes
or clothing, or guests.

Recently my friend found an English-speaking vet who told her he can order a
French version of Galazy D for ferrets.  I am trying to get his number and
ask him what the stuff is called.  In the meantime, can you direct me to
precise instructions on what the vet should do in case Rikki has a bad
reaction to the vaccine?  (He did not in the past) I'd like to make sure the
vet has everything necessary on hand, in advance, plus some instructions to
read.  I would REALLY appreciate your help on this, privately or on this
list.  I'll be watching for it desperately.

Thanks in advance,

Sue Kocher <[log in to unmask]>