From:
Tamara Logan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Mar 2004 04:59:18 EST
Hi!  I am fairly new to the FML, and I have to say, some of the posts
have had me in tears!  The attacks on Rochelle are cruel, to say the
least.  Sure, pet owners need to have responsibility with their finances,
but sometimes there are things going on that we are not aware of.  Please
stop attacking this wonderful Oregon woman!!!

Rochelle, I rescue ferrets in a FFZ and take them to ferret-friendly
places.  A few months ago, one of my rescues (Sebastian) started going
way down hill, and fast.  He lost a lot of weight, his energy was
depleted, and his eyes were almost lifeless.  At the time, I was being
transferred to a pet store to work and hadn't had a pay check for several
weeks.  I told the vet this when I brought him in and she gave me a huge
discount on the check-up.  When that was done, she informed me that
several diagnostic tests would be needed (blood tests, ultrasound,
etc...) to see what was wrong with him (she is a fairly recent ferret
vet, so things don't jump out at her yet).  The total costs of those
diagnostics was more than $1000!!!  Guess how much I paid?  $128.  The
28 was for the medicine that perked him up.  She wouldn't accept a penny
more.  There are some vets that are very understanding.  I'm no saying
you will find a vet to treat your baby for almost free, but (like others
have already said) some may be more than willing to set up a payment
plan.  Shop around.  You don't really want to get rid of your kid.  You
know it and so do the rest of us.  Please don't let him go until you try
VERY HARD to find a friendly vet.

Praying for you and your fuzzy baby,

Tamara (and Edelweiss, Sebastian, Bernadette, Frieda, and Widget [and
three adoptables: Aria, Wingnut, and Andromeda])