From:
Bonnie Tormohlen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 May 2012 15:11:26 -0700
As many are aware, CDFEA (California Domestic Ferret Educational
Alliance, Inc) was my brainchild in 2006 that eventually took on
legal sheltering operations in Southern California. I resigned from
the board last December because of health issues, and far too many
irons in the fire. I received word this past week that CDFEA will be
dis-incorporating and shutting down the only ferret specific shelter
holding a DFG permit in the state. The current board members and
shelter ops are disillusioned and burnt out, which seems to be common
amongst those who truly put in more than lip service to ferret advocacy
and protection in that democratically brain-dead state.

I hear rumor that another ferret club in California is attempting to
incorporate, which is a good thing, but that is only one small step
toward actually obtaining a shelter permit through DFG. In a nutshell,
in about 60 days California will once again go back to the old, and
apparently comfortable, way of shuffling ferrets around through the
"underground network" and seized ferrets will again be sent to wildlife
centers or euthanized. Wouldn't it be amazing if every ferret owner in
California suddenly became inspired and motivated enough to stand up
to their tyrannical state government, a government that they pay for,
and say "enough already"? One can only dream.

If there is an organization in California that is seriously interested
in pursuing shelter operations there and would like to avoid
re-inventing the wheel, I would be happy to make time to provide
information on how to go about it. Do understand beforehand that any
ferret specific shelter in California, be it in a facility or a private
home, would have to be subject to yearly inspection by DFG. This
seems to be where those with a vague interest in sheltering fall off.
Initially, DFG allowed us to have our veterinarian do our yearly
inspection and sign off on it, but true to DFG's greedy nature, they
now want to do the inspections and charge a fee for the "service".

I will be sad to see CDFEA close its doors, not just because it was
once my "baby", but because I know hundreds of ferrets avoided neglect,
abuse and death through their efforts over the past few years. And I
am even more saddened to know what the fate of hundreds more will be
without a DFG approved shelter to save them. I sure hope there is
someone, some group, over there that will have the cajones to step
up to the plate very soon for these sweet, voiceless creatures.
Legalization of ferrets is a long way off, the ferrets need advocates
RIGHT NOW. For those thinking about, or planning on sneaking more
ferrets into California because you "just gotta have" a new baby
ferret....please don't be selfish, stop being part of the problem
and become part of the solution.

NAFAR is still available to meet at the I-40 border to take group
rescues (shelter space permitting). We can no longer afford to run
over to the border for a single rescue; it is a 9 hour round trip, we
do not have the ability to drop everything at a moments notice and run
over there.

Bonnie Tormohlen
Managing Director
Northern Arizona Ferret Alliance & Rescue, Inc