From:
Troy Lynn Eckart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Sep 2001 10:16:32 -0500
Lisa -
She's only doing what comes natural to ferrets.  She isn't being bad,
she is being a ferret.  Dogs bark and dig, cats climb and sharpen claws,
ferrets explore nooks and crannys and hidden places.

I'd be concerned about her getting into harm in those places.  What we did
at our home is took a piece of wood trim that was big enough to fit over
the gap under the cabinets and a bit wider then tacked it up with paneling
nails.  This isn't seen unless you get down on your hands and knees to
find it and the trim is relatively wide.  I too forgot the drawer section
and one of the pantry cabinets.  I ended up tearing out the bottom shelf
because one of the big boys got his head stuck trying to get in.  The shelf
came out and the doors came off so now it is an open cabinet without a
bottom shelf.  Oh well.  It works just as well. :-)  As for the drawers,
well they now belong to the ferrets.  If I didn't want them in there at
all I could take the bottom 2 drawers out and then they couldn't climb up
but they really enjoy sleeping in the top drawer.

Try to think of her as a ferret, not as any other type of creature.  Don't
be angry at her for being what she naturally is.  Try to adjust your
attitude, watch her playful antics and joyful spirit, lighten up, love
her for being herself and enjoy her for the short time she is here on
this earth.  If you aren't willing to accept her for what she is, a ferret,
remember that she is a living, breathing, feeling creature, just as you
are and always disciplining her doesn't make either of you happy.

Life is much to short for any of us, and no guarantee that tomorrow will
come for any of us either, to let the little annoyances rule our days.

Hugs to all. tle
Troy Lynn Eckart
Ferret Family Services
Please sign up to support our charity