From:
Pam Grant and STAR* Ferrets <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Feb 1997 16:24:22 -0500
Just wanted to let you all know that I have not forgotten about the survey -
I'm just VERY behind on loading in the returned forms.  So far, I have data
on over 1000 ferrets and thought I'd share what I have so far, and those
expecting a printed copy - it will be coming with ALL the surveys to date
loaded in.  I'm working on things for the HSUS Expo Feb 12-16 and will be
out of town during that time, so please be patient.

Average ferrets per home = 5
554 sables,
132 albinos
218 mitts or silvers
69 patterns
60 BEW
71 Chocolates
73 cinnamons

511 males, 504 females

212 under a year
208   1-2, 247   2-3, 238   3-4, 194   4-5, 100   5-6, 95  over 6.

ferrets = 1160, dogs = 194, cats = 271, birds = 146, reptiles = 47,
rabbits = 113, fish = 303, rodents = 60, exotics = 18, large animals = 25

Was a ferret your first pet?  83 = yes, 144 = no

Where was the first ferret obtained?
pet shop = 62%
breeder = 9%
shelter = 11%,
other = 18%

Where was the fifth ferret obtained?
pet shop = 25%
breeder = 19%
shelter = 39%
other = 16%

This is good to see - subsequent ferrets being acquired through other
sources than the pet shop.

50% of the people surveyed had ferrets that passed away.

80% of ferret passing were seen by a vet - glad to see they get health care!

average ferret owner:
36 and a half, female, holds a college degree, white collar job making over
$30,000, owns their home, lives in a house in the suburbs, belongs to a
ferret club and subscribes to a ferret newsletter or magazine.

44% of the surveys received so far came off the Internet, 19% from clubs and
29% from a newsletter.

There is still time to copy more surveys and pass them out - the more
received the better the stats will reflect true ferret ownership.

Pamela Troutman Grant / STAR* Ferrets