From:
"Ilena E. Ayala" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Feb 1998 11:24:02 -0500
>My ferret always goes where he is supposed to but when he is done he wipes
>his but on the floor!!

This is perfectly normal behavior and you should not expect to be able to
stop it.  Two suggestions:

Hang a small roll of toilet tissue near the litte box and teach your ferret
to use it.  (Make sure you provide an approriate waste receptical for it's
disposal after use.)

Begin by rewarding any behavior that is in the right 'direction', for
example, approaching the t.p.  after using the litter box, then once he's
good about that make him pull on it before being rewarded, then he'll
actually have to tear a piece off for use... you get the idea.  When each
small step in the right direction is mastered require a bit more to recieve
a reward.  Complex tasks can sometimes be learned with this method.

One draw back is that this takes quite a bit of time and patience.  If you
cannot dedicate yourself to this method, I suggest that you place a 'butt
wipe' cloth or rug in his chosen area.  It will spare the floor, and can be
laundered.

-Ilena Ayala