From:
"Meg Carpenter, Chaotic Ferrets" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Jan 2000 18:53:48 EST
Hello - What a surprise!  As I write these words, it was just related
on T.V. that (right where I live) is at ground zero for the surprise
Nor'easter - now being called a Blizzard.  I live down the river from
D.C. & Old Town Alexandria on the Mount Vernon Parkway.  Actually, my
house is on a U.S. Park Service access road.  Across the river in Maryland,
the governor has announced "state of emergency" and the National Guard is
being called out to battle the snow (excuse the pun).

Now, usually in our area, the news and weather casters will have at least
two days of hysteria preceeding any storm of at least 2 inches.  Day before
yesterday, that was what was predicted and I did not watch late news last
night.

Slept in this morning & when got up, raised shades, but did not really look
out.  I did expect a bit of a dusting.  With Millennium Kits ready to start
on "mush", I hurridly dressed to get to pet supply store for some Esbilac
Puppy milk and a few other necessaries at grocery store.  As I headed for
the kitchen door, I was blocked by husband who was incredulous that I would
go out.  Took a better look.  No wonder it was so "white" outside -
couldn't see a foot in front of your nose.

Already there was 12 inches on ground - winds gusting and as I write these
words it is still snowing with wind to 35 mph.  Of course, seeing the snow
made me more determined to get out to get what was needed for my babies.
Geez - should have gone yesterday.  Just needed to find my boots.  I also
like to drive in snow - such fun.  Husband blocked pass.  Now the need to
get mush ingredients for Millennium kits had escalated to Red Alert
Emergency in my mind.  Tried to sneak out when hubbie downstairs.  He
heard me and yelled really loud.  Argument time

He informed me that no one was on the road and that the Park Service plows
had not done our road.  Now we are really lucky because our house sits on a
Park Service Road - when it snows, we get plowed on and off during the day
while other neighborhoods have to wait for one of northern Virginia's two
snowplows to get to secondary & neighborhood roads.  Even 4 x 4's were not
out except to help hospitals.

I informed him that my specially built (second mid-life crisis) car could
handle it.  Got a really macho engine with double overhead cams and biggest
car engine made in the world (this is all I remember about my car engine)
and that I have 18 whatever wheelbase with huge Dom Perignom tires, or
something like that, and it is red.

The driveway is the biggest problem because it is long and our house sits
on a knoll so snow is always accumulates deepest there because a white
fence borders one side.  No problem - just push it with my bumper.  I
really had to get out for supplies!  More important by the minute.  This
is also called "snow syndrome" which causes otherwise sane people to buy
all the bread and toilet paper in supermarkets.  Or in the case of ferret
owners - maybe even more hammies and snuggle sacks.

So my husband called a private snowplow company and requested emergency
service and I heard him tell that I was determined to go to the store and
he didn't want to have to dig my car out tomorrow.  Geez.  Well, as I write
these words, the snowplow is stuck in our driveway and I am really ticked
because now the driveway is really blocked!  So, I decided to write to the
FML and voice my frustration.  My husband, for some unknown reasson, is
blaming the whole thing on me!  Men.

A bit later, I will write an up-date on the 2000 babies (so cute & sweet).
Snowfully, Meg   P.S. Send Supplies!!