From:
TannerMini <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Dec 1997 16:30:41 EST
Hi everyone,

Well got some good and some not so good news for NM.

I spoke with Dr. Paul Attistead (spelling) the head state vet for NM.
According to the fax I had sent him yesterday, his UN-OFFICAL reply
regarding the rabies issue with Ferrets is that he will no longer KILL any
of the fuzzies, and recommand the 10 day quaranteen.  However, it is up to
the individual counties of NM to do whatever they like with a ferret that
was placed into quaranteen after the 10 day period.  He also stated to me it
could take as long as a year to put this into effect in NM.  There are board
hearings and public meetings that have to take place before any of it can be
re-written and put into effect.

I also called the county and city animal control in Albuquerque and spoke
with managers and assistant managers to see if they knew anything about
this.  Neither one of them did.  Again, I mailed them a copy of what I took
off the FML, so they would be aware of the changes.  I will do the follow
ups as well, as I want to make sure they follow suit.

The next step would be to contact animal control agencies throughout NM, to
make sure they are also ALL aware of this.  I will be looking to put
together a county list with contact names and addresses, so I can mail
copies to each and every county in NM.  If there are other NM Ferret owners
outside Bernalillo county that can help supply that information, I would
appreciate if you would contact me privately and supply with that info.
What I need is:

1. County
2. contact name (mgr)
3. Address
4. Fax number
5. Phone number

I would like to do a follow up afterwards and make sure that they got the
info and just get a feel for how a situation would be handled if there was
a case.

If any of you in NM would like to contact Dr. Paul Attistead he can be
reached at 505-827-0006, his fax number is 505-827-0013.

Thanks

Mini

and her gang of....the 8 fuzzies plus the Tan's and Mini Rex