From:
Lynn Siegel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Jan 2000 11:13:43 -0500
Bob I am sure you mean well but I wonder if you could tell me (us) exactly
what these other methods are that you mentioned in your post.  I don't know
about anyone else but I don't have those sources that you mentioned, so
have no idea of what methods they are.

I raise exotic birds & use the clipped nail method for DNA purposes.  To
surgically sex a bird, it has to be given anesthesia & then a small opening
is cut in the side of the bird & a probe is put in.  Although my vet uses
the safest anesthesia on the market last year he lost his own bird who he
put under to do a routine nail clip, & exam on.  It had a bad reaction to
the anesthesia that it hadn't had before.

On some ferrets it is hard to find a vein.  Heck I know from a lot of
experience that it sometimes hard to find a vein in a human & have gone
through exploratory vein searches myself.  And I am almost always told that
I have "wonderful" veins.  I was not happy that someone had a hard time
finding my veins, it hurts to get poked by the needle.

I am sure it must hurt for a minute or two, getting the nail clipped but I
don't think it is that bad.  You clip the end of the nail down to where the
vein starts, not way down.  The blood flow almost always stops right away
with a little pressure on the nail & if it doesn't you can use corn starch
or flour or nail quick to stop the bleeding.  For a fuzzy a taste if
Ferretone or Ferretvite or a treat & a hug & rub & the ferret won't even
remember it.

I'm glad you & your vet are cautious.  And whatever works for you & yours
is great.  However it is my opinion that the nail clip is the fastest &
best way to go.

Lynn