From:
"D.A.Steele" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 May 1996 10:35:53 -0700
Another thing in the newletter has been the subject of people approaching
someone with a ferret and asking to hold it.  Although holding might not be
a good idea - a pet on the head shouldn't hurt.  Because ferrets have had
such a bad rap - and I think one letter of complaint about people wanting to
pet his ferret was written by a Califorian- in many states we could try to
view letting the public become familiar with ferrets as a public service -
to ferrets.  The more people who get to experience a ferret - the more
pro-ferret people we will have.  And don't get to laid back and think "well,
they are legal in my state anyway" that could change.  Cities also enact
laws regarding ferrets.  If we want to change the public perception of a
ferret let them experience one.  We all know if we take them out it is an
oddity and people want to see them - lets use this to our advantage.  Let
your ferret campaign for themselves - seeing (and even touching) is
believing!  So try to be understanding anything that helps the fuzzies
helps us.