From:
Kimberly Platz and Toby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Mar 1996 21:27:44 -0500
irst non-anonymous post.  Toby and I live MA.

Thanks to everyone for their feedback regarding Toby's x-rays.  (I have
decided to wait until I find a new vet in CT and have him request them!) I
have another question...  I have seen posts about using Petromalt for
hairballs.  Toby didn't seem to be bothered by hairballs last year but I
thought it would be better to be prepared and get some Petromalt (that seems
to be what people are using on the list).

So, I went to the pet store and found that they had Petromalt for dogs,
cats, or rabbits.  I asked the clerk for some assistance in choosing which
one would be best.  He told me not to bother with Petromalt - "it's just
flavored Vaseline." He suggested adding some Linatone to vaseline and
smearing it on Toby's nose.  Is there any truth to this?  Is all Petromalt
the same bunny/ cat/ dog?  Should I forget the hairball remedies altogether
until Toby has a problem with hairballs?

One other question - tonight I found Toby in his cage inside his favorite
undershirt (my dad's old one - Toby sleeps in it.) Toby was licking his
water bottle THROUGH the shirt.  He was getting the shirt soaked and I
thought maybe he got stuck inside the shirt, so I helped him out and pointed
him i nthe direction of the water bottle.  He looked at me like I was crazy
and crawled back inside the shirt.  Not a minute later, he was drinking
through the shirt again!!!  What is her doing?  Does he like the taste of
the fabric softener?  Is he hot and trying to cool off by wetting the shirt?
Is he just practicing for the first ever ferret wet t-shirt contest?

Thanks for your help!
Kim and Toby