From:
Stacey Farquer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Jun 2002 09:07:38 EDT
Hi, I am a registered veterinary technician at a small animal practice.
We only see a handful of ferrets (my own little girl included).  Now, any
tech would be able to conclude that the normal temp for a ferret would be
in the ballpark of a cat.

Why were they concerned about looking for squamous cells?  I could
understand looking for abnormals ones, but squamous cells are normal in
the bladder....they make up the lining and are shed.  They may have done
the expression because it may have been easier than a cysto.  (Sticking a
needle in to the abdomen of a squirming ferret would not be my choice.)

So, they are out to do an exploratory then?  I don't get why they are
going to take biopsies of her intestines unless they *see* something
abnormal.

Honestly, I would shoot for a second opinion if there is another ferret
doc near you.  Mine definately has adrenal disease.....the enlarged gland
was present on sonogram last year and when I did her dental this year my
doc could feel it...separate from the kidney.

As far as anesthesia goes....I so is great, she would wake up rather
quickly.  Sounds like they plan on masking her down which takes a while.
They can use an injectable...Ketamine/Acepromazine combo.  It worked great
on my 7 yr old girl.  She woke up smoothly and when I brought her home she
slept in her hammock for a few hours.  (She looked like a drunk who passed
out in bed!) Later in the evening she was up eating a bit and drinking
well.  Next day she was back to normal.

Just some thoughts
Stacey