From:
"A. Abate/C. Kinsey" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Jan 1996 08:16:20 EST
I previously posted the suggestion that ferret owners could do their own
dentistries.  BIG jumped in and said that the activity I was describing was
"not a real dentistry", or something to that effect.  I do not know what he
is defining but I will guess that a Real Dentistry involves polishing, as
well as cleaning the teeth, a dental exam, anesthesia, and a bill of at
least $40-$50.  I do about 300 not-a-real-dentistries on ferrets annually.
99% of these ferrets would have no dental exam at all were it not for the
service that I provide at no cost.  Yes, Bill, basically all I do is remove
the tartar--both the obvious area lower on the tooth, and also the hidden
problem area under the gumline.  This has proved, over the years, (I see
many of these same ferrets each year, some twice a year), to be quite
adequate.  If the average ferret owner were to do this, many dental problems
could be avoided.

I would ask:how many FMLers have examined their ferrets teeth this month?
This year?  Any year?  It is not the most common thing to do and it takes a
little looking to find the real problem area way back in the mouth,
generally on the outside of the upper molars.  What I am trying to
accomplish, and which seems to miss my critics, is basic ferret health care
that will give a longer and happier life to all our ferrets.  I have
nineteen ferrets in permanent residence.  All receive regular dental care.
I am trained and equipped to do more than just teeth cleaning, but the
average owner would find routine tartar removal the perfect chance to look
for more serious problems which could then be brought to the attention of
the veterinarian.  Why wait until teeth fall out, or the animal stops eating
and loses critical weight, or simply suffers with the acute gingivitis I see
in many of the ferrets that stop by for a free, not-a-real-dentistry.

Another subscriber suggested that one would get bitten doing this procedure.
After 500 or more of these procedures, I've yet to get bitten--and I haven't
lost a patient either, as can happen when using anesthetics.  Since
dentistries, real or otherwise, need to be done annually at least, that's a
lot of anethetic for a ferret.  Why not do you and your ferret a favor, and
learn to perform this simple health task?  It will quickly be as routine as
a nail trim and the ferret will accept it as such.

We have one ferret that was turned into the shelter four years ago after
having had his head stepped on.  His jaw was broken, sinuses crushed, and
brain severly bruised.  His teeth misalign, (I know, malocclusion), and
therefore he cannot chew.  As a result of a very soft diet, his teeth need
to be cleaned weekly.  Let's see, at $40 a week that would be 52 anesthesias
and ----how many dollars!!!!!!.

ANDI & T0DD LOCKHART
asked about a solution to aid older or debilitated ferrets which cannot use
a littler pan.  Our solution is to use incontinent pads for them.  They are
soft and absorbent, disposable, and have a waterproof plastic backing, which
is important for a ferret which may then turn around and crawl back through
the waste.  Not perfect, but better.  They come in many flat sizes; "chair"
size, "bed" size, etc.  We use several sizes, depending upon need.  I buy a
lot of these, and when I get embarassed and try to explain to the salesclerk
that they are for ferrets, he/she just smiles understandingly and asks if
I'd like to have them put in a second, (more descreet), bag.  Best buys on
these are Walmart, although they generally only carry the bed size, and
Walgreen's drugstore, (they have a "house" brand).

[Moderator's note: Yes, I define a dentistry that you pay the vet for as
ultrasonic scaling above and below the gumline and polishing.  Hand scaling
will do too.  Sometimes antibiotics are prescribed.  Usually the animals
have to be intubated.  Polishing is important since the imperfections the
scaling leaves behind can anchor new tartar.  On the other hand, if you can
get away with taking away visible tartar and do it without damage I would
think that's a good thing.  Re the weekly patient: it takes time for the
crud to build up and harden - gentle cleaning every week would be good
preventive dentistry as is done with other animals.  More power to you if
you can get away with it!  BIG]