From:
Lyn Tablas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 May 1997 14:57:44 -0400
I have a lot of experience with dachshund/mustilid interaction, since I have
both ferrets and domestic skunks, along with my 7lb.  mini dachshund.  As
you said, dachshunds were originally bred to hunt badgers.  I NEVER let my
doxie in the house when my ferrets are loose.  She would have too much fun
hunting and trying to kill them!  A few years ago, Amy, the doxie, hunted my
sons' gerbils when they escaped their cage.  Then she brought the little
dead bodies to me, very proud.  As far as she knew, she'd done her job.  She
will sit by my ferrets' cage and watch them carefully, with a huge grin,
waiting for a chance.  She will never get one.  Amy was here first, and I've
had her since she was an 8 week old pup, so she stays.  But I would not get
another if I lost her.  The only reason we have no problems is because we
are diligent in keeping the dog and ferrets seperate.  I also have collies,
and they are very gentle with the ferrets and afraid of the skunks.  But,
again, I never leave them with the little ones unsupervised.  The risk is
too great.  Lyn