From:
Joan Scheer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Feb 2007 04:06:12 -0500
>I'm not sure about ferrets feeling emotions, thinking and
>contemplating like people do, at least not to the extent you describe.
>I've had quite a few rescues come in, some came from bad homes, others
>from good homes. None became sick because they left their home.
>Ferrets are usually excited about new surroundings and people. I think
>he was very sick, maybe his owners knew and didn't want any vet bills
>and gave the ferrets up instead.
>
>Ulrike

I beg to differ on the theory that ferrets can in fact miss their homes
and humans to the extent of refusing to thrive.

Not too long ago, a co-worker of my husbands had a daughter with a
(only)ferret who was leaving the country, and I agreed to foster him
for 2 week while some decisions were made as to his future in the
family. Bubaloo was a handsome gib of about 3yrs and in great shape,
obviously spoiled and well kept. He also wanted nothing at all to do
with my business, myself, or my husband and went off his food within 3
days. After struggling with him for the rest of the week, I had to call
his momma to pick him up. I had used all the names, cues, and his own
food, provided him with his own sleeping place, everything to ensure
his welcome and acceptance in our home. He just wanted momma, no other
would do! Well he did go back to his famoly and they decided to keep
him, the daughter(his momma) left. Hubby braught me the news about 6
months later that Bubaloo had died.

"From what?" I asked.

"They didn't say". I suspect without his momma, he just didn't want to
go on. I'm certain they loved and spoiled him in that home, but that
special human was gone.

I'm not a rescue, but have taken in many, and thankfully have never
had an adoptee fail to thrive, but it does happen.

Joan