From:
AlphaChi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Mar 1997 07:41:33 -0500
> Where does this stuff come from? The poor Ferretone people are probably
> getting inundated with complaints, and have no idea why. I don't either. I
> can't find any reference to an actual case of vitamin A toxicosis in an
> animal in the last ten years (other than experimental).

Dear Susie,
Many people are under the impression that Vitamin A is the only potential
threat concerning Linatone and ferretone.  As you so deftly put it, there
have not been many cases of such a toxicity in ferrets, although one may
wish to qualify that by stating the very likely possibility of many cases of
such either going unrecognized, misdiagnosed, or just completely ignored.
Ferret metabolism is still apparently an open discussion.  Many ferret
owners and many vets are completely ferret dumb [no slam here, as I was one
of those owners].  It's just the nature of things to take things for
granted.  The Vitamin A toxicity remains an argueable hypothesis at best.
Even in Humans, symptoms of Vitamin A megadoses are generally rectified by
simply discontinuing use and perhaps many cases go unreported.  Vitamin A
toxicity in Humans is still a debatable issue.  Thanks for the bit about the
polar bear liver, I had all but forgotten that little piece of data
uncovered so many years ago.

Unfortunately, Linatone and Ferretone also contain an extremly high content
of fatty acids.  This, according to some, presents a much clearer and
probable threat to ferrets, and these cases have fortunately been diagnosed
and aptly treated.  In fact, the mere notion of possible involvement in a
lawsuit involving these supplements has thrwarted some vets from responding
to a survey.  Bill[Zen...]and I are currently in the processs of compiling
data to better define an appropriate amount for ferrets, as "treat" amounts
and "moderation" are poor operational definitions and some home-made
substitutions are apparently worse than the original.  Mr. Killian and I
have started this procedure on somewhat opposite sides of the coin, so the
results should be fairly balanced.  Hopefully when all of this data are
compiled we can put this particular great debate to rest [perhaps], or at
least be able to offer solid advice to new and experienced ferret owners for
the good of ferrets everywhere.  Until then, and probably for some time to
come, I have greater sympathy for ferrets than a corporation.  In the
meantime, I would suggest you widen your scope to include all possible
hazards concerning these two "supplements", unless of course, you are
exclusively concerned with Vit A.  I hope this reply begins to answer your
original question.

best wishes,
until next time,
alphachi