From:
MR CHARLES R ONKEN <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 May 1997 18:32:14 -0500
The vet who did the follow up after Cujo's bladder blockage surgery called
with the results of the tests on the crystals removed.  She said they were
composed of magnesium, phosphorous and ammonium.  Her recommendation was to
switch Cujo and the other two to C/D by Science Diet or something called CNM
from Purina (also called UR).  Both are for cats with this type of problem
caused by either too much or too little (I don't remember) acidity, or ph,
in the system.  I read her the ingredient list and chemical list from a
Totally Ferret label, and she said there did not seem to be anything wrong
with it.  So..... now what?  Keep them on Totally Ferret (my inclination) or
switch them to one or both of her recommended foods?

Although not a "ferret vet" she did answer correctly when I asked her about
vaccinations.  She said Imrab and Fervac.  Also said she used to give them
together, but stopped when a couple of ferrets had reactions.  She wanted to
know how I knew about anaphalactic shock, Totally Ferret, and their need for
high protein and fat in the diet.  You'll never guess where I told the
information came from!

As to Cujo...He continues to recover.  Last night he drank from the water
bottle.  We still hand feed and give him Sustacal and Pedialyte.

We let him out for a few minutes and he headed for two corners where they
always "go" and marked them (we had paper down already).  He then headed for
the tube.  We thought that might be a bit much so we gathered him up and put
him back in his cage.  He fights the Amoxi more each day....getting
stronger.  His incision is now sticking out from his tummy instead of
looking like a furrow in it, so his swelling is going down.  I would be VERY
surprised if he were to go downhill on us now.  I have finally convinced
myself that our little guy is going to be alright!

By the way, the vet wants a urine sample to test a couple of days before the
Amoxi runs out to make sure if he does have any lingering infection that
there is no break in giving him more medication.  I like that.  She may be
young, (my wife says, I have not met her), she may not be a "ferret vet",
but she sounded pleasant and concerned over the phone.  Maybe we can make
her into a "ferret vet".

I say this each time, but it can't be said enough.  Thank you all.  With the
knowledge, recipes and support from the FML, we still have Cujo with us.

Charlie, family and ferrets in Kissimmee