From:
Don & Janice Boyle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Sep 1998 11:15:00 -0500
I don't know about your part of the country, but we are experiencing a cold
snap here in the mid-west!  That is not a complaint, it is delightful.  But
some of the fuzzies have gone "under cover(s)" (sorry, couldn't resist
that).  One little older girl in particular was trembling and she was in a
blankie.  I was enjoying the cool weather so much myself I hadn't realized
that the house was several degrees cooler than normal and that it takes
time for ferrets to adjust their thermostats to winter weather.  Now before
you gasp, I do not let the house get too cool and we keep it toasty here or
really cool, depending on which is needed.  I turned the thermostat to warm
and turned on the furnace for the first time this fall.  I took the little
shiverer (made that one up, I think), and nuked her blankie in the
microwave for an appropriate time and wrapped her in it, tucked her in her
bed and she stopped shivering immediately.  Some of everyone's fuzzies are
older or have lost hair for illness or other reasons and they may not be
able to keep warm as well as other younger or fully-furred fuzzies.  So
turn that thermo where it needs to be for the little ones.  Remember, like
Maggie reminded me, ferrets cannot put on sweat shirts and pants and socks
when the weather and home gets cold.  They depend on us to help them be
comfy.  And nuke a blankie if needed to help get the bed warm, so they
don't have to try to use all their warmth to get the bedding warmed up.

Jan and crew of 11.