From:
Ferret Rescue of Tidewater <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Feb 1996 19:11:07 -0500
In reference to the MF ferrets and the inbreeding, I have known for many
years that Marshall Farms is first and foremost a scientific breeding lab,
that is that they provide laboratory animals (ferrets) for testing purposes.
In fact, they donated the ferrets to Kansas for the rabies testing. In order
to provide these animals, they must be as genetically alike as possible to
reduce the variables in testing.(Animals that are not genetically alike skew
the scientific method and the reliability of the test results.) This means
that the ferret gene pool is closed (no new blood introduced) and that they
are breeding fathers to daughters, etc. As anyone who has studied history and
the British Monarchy knows, when inbreeding occurs, strange things happen. I
do not fault MF for providing and breeding these animals for testing (sorry
PETA) because we would not have an effective rabies or distemper vaccine
without it. I do however, have a problem when these same animals which were
not needed to survive beyond the testing period are released for sale to the
general public. That is why I will not purchase anything with MF on it. This
information is common knowledge and I have been aware of it for over two
years.

The 6 1/2 yo rescue I have is a perfect example. "Hope" so named because we
hoped she would make it to a vet, has a cataract in one eye,
adrenal/insulinoma, irritable bowel syndrome and weakness in her back legs.
My only non-MF ferret is 4 1/2 and has only been to the vet for her shots.
Coincidence? maybe, but all my MF ferrets have had to have major surgery of
some type by the time they were 5, and it was almost always either adrenals
or insulinoma or both, except for 1 and she had lymphosarcoma.
I love all ferrets and I just wish that some weren't born with these kind of
strikes against them.

This statement is my own and does not reflect the opinions of anyone other
than myself.  I hope that I have not offended anyone by this statement but as
Jimmy Buffett said, "Thats my story and I'm sticking to it".  (Sorry BIG if I
am stirring up old news.)

-Lisa and the Mighty 10 (in order of appearance: Jezebel, Bandit, Bruiser,
Misha, Pele, Yodhe Vawhe, Dijon, Rascal, Sasha & Hope)