Date:
Tue, 31 Aug 1999 14:03:35 -0400
While many folks are applauding the recent Petco move to eliminate Modern
Ferret magazine from their shelves, I must point out - PETCO is not a hero
to the ferret community.  Petco thoerugh sales of ferret kits contribute
in a great way to the ignorance about ferret care.  Our shelter had 3
directors visit a Petco in NH last year when ferrets were "back roomed"
for 16 weeks.  In that time one died- another was near death when we got
there.  The store was hopping around well maybe you can take them check
back tomorrow-- as ferrets sat in urine soaked wood shavings, somewhat
dehydrated and very hungry!  Yes, the state directors office WAS alerted
and showed up -- the end result was that this particular Petco store moved
the ferrets to an out of state vet, so no one would know the disposition.
PETCO is NOT a friend to ferrets.  Petco should not be applauded or
supported - in my mind for their actions.

The move to take Modern Ferret out of Petco stores means that consumers
will have one less text or resource to provide to purchasers.  Go check the
shelves at your local Petco stores -- see who provides the other books and
references.  Sure, there is a dispute on whether the illustrations were
humorous in issue #24 and even the fact that it is an impressionable piece
for families with youngsters ** BUT ** I would rather see some more thought
and changes on future issues of Modern Ferret than to see Petco help
maneuver the magazine into extinction.

Just my thoughts!  Way to go Petco -- so, WHO will stand up and take credit
for this wonderous act?  Perhaps you will also take the ferrets that go out
of the store -- or get held in the backrooms too long without proper care &
handling???

Alicia
a shelter volunteer