From:
Micheal Forrest <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Jun 2012 14:57:20 -0700
Greetings all...

I don't post often (because I tend to ramble) but this is something I
do that may help Mike with his medication problems.

I haven't found many medicines that my rescues actually like so what I
do is mix them in either turkey & gravy or chicken baby food, the ones
in the small little jars at about a buck each. My home-made baby food
works just as well if not better and is so much cheaper to make...
another topic...

I use the syringes obtained at the pharmacy for dosing children because
ferrets seem to take it better this way than having to lap it up out of
a spoon and etc. You can mix as much baby food in as needed to mask the
taste of the medicine and you can give your babies untainted ferretone
as is safe. Baby food will bring a sick ferret back from death's door
if they have lost weight from not eating much of their regular food.
My baby Jill, an 8+ year old ferret went into a deep depression after
losing her life-long cage mate that was imprisoned with her for the
first 6 years of life. She stopped eating and was going down fast by
the time I noticed her skin and bones appearance and syringe feeding
her baby food, mostly my home-made variety brought her back to a normal
healthy ferret despite her being both deaf and blind! I also must add
that I had moved away from the ferrets...only about a mile but she had
been put back in a cage with the others and I wasn't able to spend as
much time with the gang as I used to. I had to bring Jill and a few
other sick babies with me (can't bring them all) so I could medicate
them and continue the bond I had made with Jill which may be a big part
of her getting well. She needs to "smell" me several times a day so she
knows I'm there for her.

See, I ramble...<lol> To make up to you folks for that trait of mine, I
can give my recipe...(I use the word recipe loosely) for making baby
food for about a nickle a jar of store-bought variety. Just email your
request and I'll type it up and send it to you.

Micheal Forrest,
Ferret Rescue and Adoption of South Texas
www.ferretrescueandadoption.com