From:
Penny LePage <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Dec 1999 21:10:56 -0500
Hi!  Finally getting caught up on reading the FML and thought I would write
for a change.  My name is Penny and I live with my husband, Dick and now 10
most wonderful ferrets.  We started our ferret family back in 1991 in Great
Falls, Mt.  I had never seen a ferret before this when my husband told me
he had always wanted one.  It was Christmas, wind blowing, minus 30 when we
started back to NH with Missie.  She spent most of the trip in the sleeve
of my leather jacket.  When we got home we found out that ferrets were not
legal in NH!!!  Maine was where we ended up going to the vet till we lost
Missie in 1993 to cancer while in Fl.  We sat up with her all night till
she fell asleep in my arms at 3:05 am.  We brought her home to NH and kept
her in the freezer till spring so we could bury her in the back yard in the
flower bed.  My son also gave me a new kit before leaving Fl which is
Missitoo and is still full of love and mischief.  She is the only one we
have that hasn't come from a shelter or found.  We have five males and five
females.  All are MF ferrets except Missitoo, she is a Path Valley Farms.
She doesn't know she is a ferret, hates ferrets except Burglar, who is her
cage mate.

We spend most of our time trying to educate local people about ferrets.  I
write an article once a month in our local paper.  I visit local pet stores
and talk with owners, managers and sales people.  Just going in and looking
at the ferrets and checking out supplies, talking with the people one on
one like friendly conversation so they are learning not being put down or
us coming off sounding like we know it all.  The day will never come when I
feel like I know all there is to know about ferrets.  There isn't a day
that I read the FML or get on line to check out a new web site that I don't
learn something.  As long as I can pass something on to a ferret owner I
feel like I am doing something to better the lives of our ferrets.

One last thing!!  If Joanie Campbell reads this please e-mail me, I have
tried sending you mail and it has been returned.

Sorry this was so long but I didn't even get started.  My husband tells
people not to ask questions about ferrets unless they are really interested
and have the time to listen she will go on and on!!!  Can't think of a
better subject than ferrets, can you??

Fuzzie kisses to all from:
Penny
Missitoo, Burglar