From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Mar 2002 22:12:10 -0500
>I took my ferrets in for their annual rabies shot and the vet mentioned
>something to me I have never heard of before: kennel cough.  He suggested
>I have my ferrets vaccinated for it but I am not doing any such thing
>until I know more about this.  Any suggestions or information would be
>greatly appreciated.

There is no vaccine that I am aware of for kennel cough in ferrets.  There
are approved vaccines for cats and dogs, but not for the little guys.
Personally, I don't think I've ever seen a ferret with what I would call
kennel cough, and I've never heard of it either.  Have any of the other
vets on the list?

Dr. Ruth
Save lives - spay or neuter your pet.

Kennel cough is not a real problem in ferrets, and I would not recommend
vaccinating for it.  Kennel cough is a non-core vaccine in dogs and cats,
and is generally only given to those who are likely to contract it - those
in shows, being boarded, or around a lot of other dogs or cats.  It is
most commonly used in dogs who board at the vets' and only rarely in cats.

While ferrets are susceptible to one of the agents that causes kennel
cough in dogs and cats - Bordetella - I have yet to see a spontaneous
case.

With the problems that may be associated with vaccinations in ferrets, I
would be dead set against using this in ferrets without an established
need.

With kindest regards,
Bruce Williams, DVM