From:
"Dawn Smith, LOS National" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Aug 2005 10:13:59 EDT
here's my letter sent via edocket to USDA/APHIS

I am happy to hear that APHIS is considering changes in reference to
ferrets from ferret farms to pet stores.  This has been a long time
coming as too many ferret farms/breeders are sending out babies to pet
stores for sale at ages less than 8 weeks of age.  As shelter/breeder
licensed by USDA/APHIS, I feel that changes such as the following should
be considered and enforced:

1. Restrictions on age of no younger than 8 weeks of age should be set.
Many kits are still weaning off of my at ages younger than 8 weeks.  Pet
Stores are receving kits at 5 weeks of age when their diet should be soft
food/wet food.  These kits are being feed hard kibble which may cause
prolaspe rectum among other health concerns since their bodies are not
matured to handle hard food at that age.

2. Restrictions on the limit of ferrets shipped in a crate.  I have seen
up to 25 in a wooden crate 12 X 12 with pine shavings.  Ferrets should
not have to walk on each other and should have adequate room.

3. The elimination of pine, aspen or cedar shavings.  These shavings can
cause respiratory conditions.

4. All kits should be shipped with at least 1 distemper shot along with
a paper explaining that in the first year a series of 3 shots are
required.  Notifying the new owner and/or pet store that 2 more shots
are due.

5. The ferrets should be health certified by a vet prior to leaving for
shipping.

6. Adequate food and water should be supplied to the ferrets at all
times whether during shipping, at the farm, at the breeder, at the pet
store, etc.

7. An inspection of the facilities should be done quarterly due to the
vast number of ferrets being exported to Pet Stores.

Thank you very much for your time and consideration.  Should you want
further input on my experiences over the past 15 years, please feel
free to email me at [log in to unmask]

Sincerely,

Dawn Smith