From:
Rebecca Stout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Mar 2003 12:44:52 EST
>One thing I'm worried about is that I may lose the really close bond
>that I have with Ollie, if I got him a friend.  I mean, would he then
>prefer to spend more time with his friend then me?  Would he be less
>affectionate?

My limited experience has been this.  When I have just one ferret who
was close to me intimately and then I go them a friend, if I had time
for them both, it did not affect the bond whatsoever.  Now, I have
experienced a little slipping of a bond with a ferret when I added one,
but it's been my own doing when that's happened.  I had started to pay
too much attention to the new one, or didn't have quite enough time to
spend with both.  But I was always able to reestablish the bond later on.
In fact, most of the time when I got my ferret a pal, what I ended up
with was a ferret completely spoiled by me, but who also had a ferret pal
(his own kind) to compliment that relationship.  I'm not saying that I
believe they have to have a friend to be happy.  They can bond with us
and other species and be quite happy alone.  I"m just saying, I do see
that another ferret does seem to add a certain "spark" to their life
much of the time.

So I wouldn't fear loosing that intimacy, though I really can understand
that worry.  I've been there.  If you are able, and if your ferret is in
a cage that long each week and not out exploring or with other pets, you
might want to consider another one.  I think there are advantages either
way, and few disadvantages either way.  So that will have to be a
decision that you are happy with. :)   And either should be a happy
decision.  I think neither is the wrong decision.  May I say that if you
or someone was home with your ferret most of the day through the week and
able to give them a lot of attention, if your ferret was also pals with
other pets (cats, dogs, etc), if your ferret was a senior ferret, if your
ferret seems perfectly happy, if your ferret had a history of solitude or
not getting along with other ferrets anyway, etc, I'd really lean to
waving my hand and saying leave the situation alone.  Like wise if
everything was opposite, if you financially and emotionally can handle
another one, if the ferret was getting hardly any attention at all, if,
if, if...if, then I'd lean to saying try getting a cage mate.  But your
situation surely seems to be one that is split in half, eh?  :) That's
good though.

Make sure, that if you ever do get a pal for your ferret, that you see
if you can't take them with you to the shelter or something to try and
"match them up".  If you get a kit from somewhere, take it slow (okay
well take it slow no matter who you are introducing).  And consider your
ferrets age.  I mean a five year old ferret who is used to being alone,
may or may NOT appreciate an exhuasting kit around. :)

I know, I know.  I didn't help at all.  But it's good to know that you
can take eithe path and have benefit, no?  Sigh.  I hope others on the
list give opinions.  Because I surely am no expert here.

Wolfy

Wolfy's site has MOVED to:
http://wolfysluv.jacksnet.com/