From:
Melinda Wood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 May 1998 12:39:00 -0500
Stinka is a sable female about 7 years old.

She has had no health problems before this.

We have noticed that she cough/wheezes.  She does this while in her cage
and after she has been out playing for awhile.  Last night while playing
it was much worse than usual.  She tires easy when out to play and makes
noises while she sleeps.

We took her to the vet.  He listened to her heart, felt around and said she
has an ir-regular heart rythm.  He said this is a progressive condition and
there is nothing they can do for her except keep her comfortable.  He said
at this time he did not hear any fluid, but gave her antiobiotic just to
be safe so she does not get pnemonia.  He said keeping her from getting
pnemonia is very important.  He said to keep her quite and calm, not let
her play and run around very much or aggressively.

He said he can not prescribe the medications he would give dogs in this
condition, like lasix ect... because it would be lethal to the ferret.

What can I do?  Should I have a different vet perform a EKG and ultra
sound??  I do not want her get worse and die.  How do I stop this and
make her well again?

She is our sweetest, most gentle ferret, a real lady.  She never bites or
gets aggressive she is so happy and loving, always giving kisses.  I can't
loose her.

I feel so bad, because I think my insisting on getting a new ferret this
past fall was too much stress for her.  She was an only child for 61/2
years.  That is about the time all this started- her being less active,
depressed, ect.

Feel free to e-mail me or post here it doesn't matter.

Melinda
Stinka