From:
Linda Decelles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Feb 2002 12:28:20 -0600
Well, PetCo got it's power back late Saturday morning and everyone carted
animals back early Sat.  Afternoon - for their 1:00 reopening.  The manager
was really relieved and very thankful and grateful for everyone's help.

We took back all the animals, but 3.  (Sorry, Jo - you were close though
with your guess of 4.)  The boarding Iquana (Iquana owner/PetCo employee
is in the National Guard and was called up in January for 6 mos. of duty)
will stay at our house.  She was way too stressed at the store.  Norman is
keeping one of the baby Bearded Dragons (if it survives).  It has an eye
injury/infection and is not doing too well.  Though Norman did get it to
eat a good meal last night, which is promising.  And I get to keep the
first ferret we brought home (we now have 9 ferrets).  He is an Albino
male, about 11 weeks old.  The manager (as a thank you) is selling him to
me for $29.99, even though he cost the store $50.  That's good, because we
bonded the first night - at least I did.  (see future post about naming
this guy for more information on him).

This means we went from 27 pets to 44 to 57 and back down to a nice even
30 all within a 4 dya period!  I would have loved to keep some of the
beautiful canarys and of coarse the 3 baby ferrets., but Norman and my
budget talked some sense into me.  The baby ferrets were fairly easy to
give back up - as they were healthy, lively, full of it, and great colors.
They should sell fast - and the employees at that store really care about
them and try hard to educated prospective owners and steer people who
don't seem like they would be good with ferrets to other, less intensive
care, pets.

Norman & I were discussing the rate at which we have acquired ferrets in
the past 2 years and that we thought 9 was a good number.  But then we
thought 10 would be a nice round number.  I said an even dozen would be
even better, but then we would need to make that a Bakers dozen.  Norman
came out with the comment that the right number of ferrets is - One More!

We also talked about how we would love to have a polecat of two - just some
really big ferrets (you darn people keep having post all these beautiful
pictures) - so I quess we are in some serious trouble!  It's a good thing
that our budget is limited or I'd need to get a bigger house.

Well, I have to clean house (or at least try) and do some laundry (Though
if I don't, I won't have anything to wear to work tomorrow and would have
to stay home a play with ferrets - gee  what a choice!)

I'll e-mail later about naming the new ferret.

Hope the weekend is find all of you and your ferrets doing well - Those
who have been at the symposium - hope you enjoyed it and welcome back.

Linda
and my son, Norman, & the 8 furry heart stealers:
Frisky, Sassy, May, Rascal, Bandit, Saint Patrick, Mittens, and Curious
George
from Lawrence, KS
with Baby and Handsome watching from the Rainbow Bridge