Date:
Sun, 8 Dec 1996 16:48:14 -0800
Pat Wright has asked that this be sent to the FML.  He can be contacted at

Subj:  FA press release  Date:  96-12-03 14:23:03 EST
From:  LEGALIN95

December 3, 1996

For Immediate Release

Head of Ferrets Anonymous Charges San Diego Animal Control With Harassment

City Attorney's Office Proceeding With Criminal Charges Despite Three
Witnesses Coming Forward

Pat Wright, the Chairman of Ferrets Anonymous is scheduled to go to trial on
January 23rd for his part in a lost ferret episode.

The lost ferret, "Gabby," was wanted by San Diego Animal Control, because
she was thought to have bitten a neighborhood kid, Kyle Winter, after she
got out of her owner's house.  Pat Wright refused to help San Diego Animal
Control locate Gabby because of their history of killing ferrets.  Once
Wright had a signed letter from Animal Control saying they would not kill
Gabby for rabies testing, Wright located and turned in Gabby for a two week
quarantine (within the time frame that Animal Control gave).

After turning Gabby in to the animal control shelter, Wright was served with
three misdemeanors.  Two misdemeanors were for failing to quarantine and one
was for concealing information about a biting animal.  A fourth charge of
willful endangerment of a child was later added.

After three witnesses came forward claiming there was no broken skin or
bleeding after the bite, Wright refused all plea bargain offers.  Wright's
attorney asked the City Attorney's office to drop the charges.  The City
Attorney's office replied that "San Diego Animal Control does not want the
charges dropped."

Wright believes San Diego Animal Control is unhappy with past dealings with
Ferrets Anonymous.  About three dozen members of Ferrets Anonymous picketed
the South Bay Animal Shelter last May after that shelter refused Ferrets
Anonymous' request to ship a stray ferret out of state (at our expense)
rather than kill the poor ferret.

The charges against Wright should be easy to disprove.  Animal Control said
they had to have the ferret within 14 days, and she was turned in on the
ninth day.  The charges about concealing information about a biting animal
refer to an animal subject to rabies (ferrets aren't, we have lined up an
expert witness) to avoid quarantine (where we obviously wished to avoid
euthanasia of a healthy ferret).  On top of all that - there was no bite!

With all the crime in San Diego, Ferrets Anonymous has a hard time believing
anyone's interest is served by pursuing this case.  That's why we're calling
it H A R A S S M E N T.

Ferrets Anonymous is a 2,500 member grassroots organization working to
legalize the domestic ferret in California.  For more information, please
contact [log in to unmask]