From:
sukie crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Feb 2005 17:36:04 -0500
Joanne, Bam Bam sounds like a rough call because on rare occasion an
adrenal will have problems but look normal.  Have you considered trying
a trial of melatonin implant or Lupron, or both to see if there is a
change?  Yes, there can be some unusual ferrets who are not on large
doses of Pred long term who lose fur.  We had one years back (confirmed
by pathology after necropsy since she was used to teach about
hypertrophic cardiomyopathy after her death to help vets and other
ferrets and then buried, and yes, it can be emotionally painful to have
ones given up completely to research after their deaths.  We have done
that, too, when we figured that it had a chance of helping ferrets.)

Lynda wrote:
>Some people have posted on the FML about losing a furkid that was 4 or 5
>and I have seen posts questioning the care.

I think the spirit of the questioning and why the questions were asked
matters.  I can't see bashing on that score.  It hurts and doesn't help
anyone.  Sometimes, though, there are learning opportunities which help
others, nad then a painful experience becomes a way to save lives and
that makes a real difference.  Usually, though, such matters are best
discussed while the ferret is alive so that they can be used, and
necropsies with pathology used after death when there is a need (an
approach which has helped prevent further deaths in multiple instances).
It is a tender time and a delicate issue, obviously.

I think that while it is important that people not feel stigmatized, that
it is also important to learn and keep learning.  I am very grateful that
the people I know who routinely get longer than the late 6th year to mid
8th year longevity that we get have been willing to sit down and compare
with me.  With both it boiled down to the exercise and space combination
as the only difference (that we could find) from what local economics
allows us to provide.

Charleen writes:
>after 5 years the problems start

Yes, yes, yes!  Getting vet exams at least twice a year with testing is
SO IMPORTANT from 5 on, and Steve and I personally start them earlier
for those of ours with problems or with neural crest genetics markings!

>I know of people that have spent thousands of dollars on their ferrets
>and still the adrenal problem doesn't get solved and they end up trying
>lupron, which with the experience I have had does just as good of job.

We had one adult rescue like that, but for the most part surgery has
been very successful with our approximately 1/3 who have gotten adrenal
growths (most over the age of 5, and most just one side).  There are some
things beyond darkness being used these days: Spring Lupron shots for
ferrets who have not had adrenal growths, melatonin implants for any,
sometimes Lupron and melatonin for those who have lost an adrenal.

Info:
http://www.miamiferret.org/fhc/melatonin.htm
 and
http://fhl.sonic-weasel.org
 and
the FML Archives whose addy is in the header of every day's FML.
Lupron is very useful drug and I am very much looking forward to learning
more about the more affordable Suprelorin which Shona gave us all good
news about recently which may help more people be able to afford adrenal
growth care.  (Also, there is a class action suit on Lupron price
according to a mail currently making the rounds.) In
http://www.smartgroups.com/message/viewdiscussion.cfm?
gid=1423922&messageid=10790

Dr. Jerry Murray wrote to Shona and the FHL membership (here with his
standing permission):