From:
Gordon Bengtson CI/ASMEL <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Nov 2003 07:25:38 -0500
Many of us use E-Bay and Pay Pal when buying things and donating to
charity such as shelters.  There is a group out there that somehow gets
your e-mail address and then sends to you an e-mail saying they are from
E-Bay or Pay Pal telling you that your profile needs to be reviewed and
to follow the link to get your official profile correct and updated.

I have had this from both E-Bay and Pay Pal but it is NOT actually
from either place but someone impersonating and falsely representing
themselves as being them.  Even the return address on the e-mail says
E-Bay and Pay Pal but it is NOT linked to them at all.

The site they send you to again is most official looking complete with
exact copies of the graphics those businesses use.  But 1) first clue
the site is not HTTPS which is secure.  Also the little padlock does not
appear at the bottom right.  Next 2) clue is it asks for you to input
both your user name and password.  They already have that and that
doesn't change unless you change it.  3) The site asks for your full name
and full address.  4) The site then asks for your Social Security number.
Dang!  Neither business will ever ask for that.

I have received this e-mail being represented as being E-Bay and Pay Pal.
This e-mail cannot be copied and pasted but I have managed to print it,
scan to OCR and then have the full text to send to the FBI and Secret
Service which I did along with the site forwarded to both.  I have also
informed all my friends and even the local news who broad cast this
identity theft attempt.

So, be careful.  Please DO use the official sites but be extremely
careful of e-mail that comes asking for so much data these official
sites actually have anyway, except the Social Security Number which
they DO NOT NEED in any case at all.

Gordon, Byte-me and Kodo
Remembering Podo, Bud and Nibble-ed