Date:
Tue, 26 Jan 2010 06:56:08 -0800
When you have a very sick ferret sick to the point they can hardly walk
or can't walk and do not want to eat. How do you know whether its time
to put them down or force feed them hoping they will pull through?

I have tried to syringe feed very ill ferrets before and they have
struggled to pull and crawl away. It feels like I'm torturing them.
Over the last couple years I have had 4 ferrets that I have had to put
down. I tried to syringe feed them but it seemed to be doing more harm
than good. I do not want them to suffer nor do I want to torcher them,
but I don't want to give up on them if they have a chance to get
better.

Last night I had to put down a 7 year old ferret who had Adreanal
Disease and Insulinoma. Over the last week he was looking very very
good, more energy, more alert, and just looked like he felt good. Then
yesterday morning he looked a lot weaker when I gave him is morning
meds at 7 am. I thought maybe I had woke him from a deep sleep. He
ended up at the vet who found his glucose was down to 32. The vet gave
him some glucose and even though his glucose came up, his body temp
started to drop to 95. He kept him warm and gave sub q fluids and
more glucose. At the end of the day we took him home. We gave him his
evening meds and syringe feed him some chicken baby food. We kept him
on a blanket on top of a heating pad (set on low to medium) on our
laps. He just layed there occasionally he would move a leg or his head,
but mostly he just laid there. I tried to give him some glucose but
all I could do was put some in him mouth he didn't try and lick it
or swallow it. By 8:30 pm he was breathing very fast > 60 minute, he
started to grunt with each breath and I just could not seem him living
until the morning. He was suffering too much and we took him to the
after hours clinic and had him put down.

Has anyone has had ferret in similar condition and were able to force
feed him and have him get better. In my mind and heart I don't think
there was anything more I could have done but If there was I need to
know, so in case I get another ferret in this condition.

When you have a ferret like this, should I continue to force feed him
or is it better to put him down earlier? I know people say when it is
time you can tell by the look in their eyes but I just don't know if
the look I'm seeing is "The Look" or if I keep at it they will get
better.

I know all this is not written very well, the pain of his loss is too
fresh.

After loosing 4 in the last couple years I wonder if force feeding a
sick ferret helps or just makes it worse.

Thanks

Mike